Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Brotherhood

The word itself, conjures a sense of emotions and let's loose a wealth of thoughts like water from a broken dam. These past months I have given a lot of thought, more than I care to admit, actually, on brotherhood. Whether it's the loss of connection to your actual siblings or to the brothers you share blood with, it seems to have a strange currency. It's in it's own mysticism, like the relationship of a father and son. But is brotherhood defined by the actual connection of blood and heredity passed down from parents or is something deeper, esoteric and born of bonds.

As of late, I've tried to recover those bonds with my actual brothers. To be a part of their lives and have them as part of mine was something I desperately wanted. But, as with all things a person wishes for it's not exactly what you really wanted. A sad realization is the one that takes place involving reality colliding with perception. Some people will be what they want to be because it is their nature. The bonds created by blood are not exactly thicker than others I have discovered. Sad as a concession as that may be, what you find on the other side of that is better and stronger.

Growing up, I had three cousins who I loved and would've died for. The feeling was mutual amongst us all. As we grew older, our paths were beset by all the trials and tribulations boys encounter on the road to manhood. It drives you apart, keeping the memories that you hold dear and praying that time doesn't bleach away the vibrancy and color of those memories. I can't say it doesn't but sometimes...the paths cross once again. Maybe when we find our ghosts and demons to much and you need that one person who just knows, they return. To stand with you and by you. To remind you of those good times and to help you through the bad. To be that friend of objectivity who will tell you what you NEED to hear and not just what you WANT to hear. To be that guy you know gets it without any words being said. To be a brother.

Another area I've found that in is my Brotherhood of fellow soldiers. The incredible connection held not only by men who served in combat but who served with you there...amazing. War will do things to you that leave scars that those who don't understand will never know. Ever. But to have a group of guys who were there beside you on your darkest days, who know what it's like to hold your life in their hands and vice/verse sometimes proves to be another, surrogate family. It becomes a Brotherhood. And once those bonds are established they are not broken. They can be tested and strained but not broken. As I sometime find myself lost in thought or feeling like a boat broken against the rocks over war and service, I think of my brothers, my real brothers, who have been there too. I know they suffer also. In that I find my strength to rise and fix my broken soul once again, for my family, for them, for me.

So, true Brotherhood is not what is found through the genetic lottery. It's found in the love, trust, devotion, loyalty and fidelity of those who've proven themselves time and time again. Those men who stand beside you no matter what your past may be. Those men who who hold no grudge and harbour no ill will. The very men who will rise to defend you when defenseless, hold you up when weak and be your strength. It's those men I call my brothers. It is those men I proudly share a Brotherhood with.  The understanding of these fundamental truths and qualities are unspoken amongst us but we know. We know what it all means. To stand with you and by you. To remind you of those good times and to help you through the bad. To be that friend of objectivity who will tell you what you NEED to hear and not just what you WANT to hear. To be that guy you know gets it without any words being said. To be a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment